Thursday, January 25, 2007

Rushing to the Altar


Is it just me, or if you are single, don't you feel like the first question out of everyone's mouth is "So when are you getting married?" And the second question is "Don't you want to get married?" Are you people serious? Yea I get it, I've been dating someone for a while it’s the next "logical" step, but is it? How exactly is it "logical" to do such a thing? I was under the impression that getting married was about wanting to be with someone for the rest of your life. I thought it was about love, compromise, affection, companionship, essentially a business venture, not just about "Hey, we have been dating for a while, why don't we get married?" I don't know about you, but I'm only 26 years old. Ummm...yea that's young. Seriously, I have (God forbid anything happens) a good 60 years of my life left. Now I understand that 60 years isn't technically that long, and that bearing children should be factored into this equation and my child bearing years will come to an end eventually. But what is the rush? Why is everyone in such a rush to get married and have children? Of course I want to get married and of course I want to have children. Right this instance, no, next year, maybe. How would I know that? Seriously I may wake up tomorrow and say to myself, now or never. I find that highly unlikely, but I could. Or I could wake up and say to myself, in two years. I dunno, its possible. But is it absolutely necessary for me to know exactly when/where/why/how I'm getting married right now? Now this isn't to knock those people who already are married and/or have children. Some of my best friends have the most amazing relationships with their husbands and they are only 26 - 30 years old. And their kids, don't even get me started on their kids, so freakin' cute!! But that doesn't mean its time for me. I commend all of you. I think it’s amazing that so early in life you identified the person you were meant to be with. I just know that I have identified him and I'm not ready to slap that ring on, walk down the aisle, and call him my husband just yet. Nor am I ready to ask the same of him (I'm pretty sure he would have cardiac arrest right then and there). So cut me some slack eh, no more questions about the marriage factor....I'll get to it, I promise, just not yet...just not yet!

No comments: