Monday, September 10, 2007

Truth be Told...

I came into work today with a positive perspective on things and decided to stop by one of my colleague's desk to drop of a chocolate chip muffin I bought (they are her favorite). After we did our normal "how was your weekend?", "how are you feeling?" exchange she asked me the coveted question "how are things with the boyfriend?". Each day I am asked this question, but since my revelation late last night, I wasn't bothered by the inquiry. I casually gave her an update only to realize she had something very important she wanted to say.

Just to give you a little background this woman is so wise. So wise that there are days I find myself drawn to her desk just to sit with her, even if for just a moment, just to revel in her knowledge and her rosy aspect on life. But today, I saw gloom in her eyes...this saddened me. I asked her what was wrong and she said to me "I'm not going to be one of those people who tells you to wait to get married because you have a lot of time. I'm not going to tell you that because people used to tell me that and look at me now. I'm 40, I have no prospects, and I'm sad....I'm really sad." I just stared in amazement. I didn't realize she was unhappy, I didn't realize she was desperately looking for her mate, I didn't realize that she was essentially living vicariously through me just waiting for that moment I came into the office flashing a diamond on my left hand. Though she is sad, she gave me the most amazing advice this morning.

She state (verbatim) "To men, women are like buses. There will always be another one coming through, they can always catch another one at a later day. But to us, to women, this is not the case. We accept men for who they are, for the bad, for the good, and when we find one, we say "let's just do this, let's just take a chance". Men, they think there will always be something better or comparable to come along. But what if there isn't, what if you miss your bus? But maybe we need to start behaving like men. When men aren't ready they just aren't ready and they don't fool with the ones who are. When they are ready, they are ready, and don't fool with the ones that aren't. So if we behave this way we can't lose, we'll definitely find our mate. Megan, you aren't getting any younger. Before you know it you'll be 35 years old wondering "what the hell happened? why did i spend so much time with this asshole?" and I don't want that for you. Make him decide. Make him decide does he want the package or does he want the situation? Men want things to be so neat and tidy and to happen at the exact right time. Well guess what, there isn't a right time and there never will be. So does he want you, the package, or does he want the situation, the right time. Make him decide...make him decide...." And with that, I walked away more at ease and more confused than ever...."make him decide....make him decide" it just keeps playing over and over again in my head. This wise woman is so right, yet she has told me something that is so hard to digest....make him decide.....

No comments: