Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Odd Man Out

Why is it when your friends/family gets married/get into a relationship they can't seem to function without their husband/boyfriend/girlfriend? When I say "I'd love for you to come visit/hang out" I get a response of "We'd love to come!" "We" who? Maybe you misunderstood me, I said "you". "You" is singular, implying one person, it is not "we". See I have no problem hanging out with your significant other, but that wasn't my request. I mean I have a boyfriend and I don't invite him to everything I do with my guy/girlfriends, but maybe they didn't notice. Does something happen that I'm just missing? Is it not important to be your own person any longer or have your own friends? Don't get me wrong, I love most of my friend's husbands/wives/boyfriends/girlfriends but people are different when they are around their significant other. Why is it so wrong with spending quality time with this one person who you have a relationship, you know, you love and not have their significant other in tow?

At one point I was flattered that I was "sooo cool!" that the significant other WANTED to come and hang out with me...but then I realized....it had nothing to do with me. It was at the request of their wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend. They didn't want to go alone. Are our lives so different that you don't feel comfortable around me without them? Am I so strange that you can't be the person I grew to love without your partner? I find this very hard to believe. So, I've made a conscious effort to be Megan at all times and I hope I'm doing a good job (I know I get lost every now and then, I'm sorry I usually come out of hiding don't I?), I just want the same from my friends. Just be you around me, just you and me. Maybe I'm just at a different point in my life. Maybe I'm too independent..maybe I've just changed. I'm not sure, but I am sure of this, the next I am say "Let's go grab a drink" if you answer "What time should we be there?" I'm going to hang up on you!

No comments: